This matter involves a challenge by, amongst others, the movement #ReclaimTheCity against a decision by provincial and city officials to sell publicly-owned land to a private school in the prime area of Sea Point.
#ReclaimTheCity argue that the relevant government officials have acted unlawfully by failing to redress spatial apartheid in the City of Cape Town.
As a friend of the Court, Equal Education’s submissions highlights the need for government, at all levels, to recognise the interrelated nature of socio-economic rights, and the link between spatial justice and education justice.
Current Status: The matter is due to be heard on 9 and 10 September 2019.
Click below to view relevant court papers
- Notice of Motion and founding affidavit
- Amended Notice of Motion
- Applicant’s supplementary affidavit
- Provincial government’s answering affidavit
- City of Cape Town’s answering affidavit
- Equal Education’s application for intervention as a friend of the court
- Provincial Government’s answering affidavit to Equal Education’s amicus application
- Equal Education’s replying affidavit Part 1
- Equal Education’s replying affidavit Part 2
- Equal Education’s replying affidavit Part 3