Thousands of members of Equal Education in Nquthu, Kwa-Zulu Natal, walk more than 10km to school each day, encountering dangerous conditions and arriving at school too tired to focus. The EELC has provided legal support and advice to Equal Education in the campaign for the realisation of scholar transport – a component of the right to basic education – in Nquthu and nationally.
On 23 October 2015 a significant victory was won when the National Scholar Transport policy was finally adopted. In addition, in November, the KZN Department of Education began providing transport to learners at 3 school in Nquthu.
The matter was heard on 23 October 2019, where the state agreed to a timeline in relation to the publication of the policy. The draft scholar transport policy was published on 16 April 2020; comprehensive submissions were made by EE and EELC in June 2020.
The EELC continues to represent EE in the struggle for scholar transport for all, with the immediate goals of providing a critical analysis of the national policy, and ensuring that the provisioning of transport in Kwa-Zulu Natal is extended to all learners walking long or dangerous routes.
Current Status: We now await the finalisation of the policy, and are conducting ongoing monitoring of the delivery of learner transport across the province.
View some relevant documents:
- Notice of Motion and founding affidavit volume 1
- Founding affidavit volume 2
- Founding affidavit volume 3
- Founding affidavit volume 4
- Founding affidavit volume 5
- State Answering Affidavit
- The provincial DOT answering affidavit
- Applicants’ replying affidavit
- Applicants’ Head’s of Argument
- Amicus Heads of Argument
- Respondents’ Heads of argument
- Order of the KwaZulu-Natal High Court
- Report filed by the KZN DoE in terms of the court order part 1
- Report filed by the KZN DoE in terms of the court order part 2
- Applicants response to report filed by KZNDoE part 1
- Applicant’s response to report filed by KZNDoE part 2
- Scholar Transport Notice in terms of rule 30-1
- Notice to Oppose State Attorney_6.03.2019
- Notice of Motion and Affidavit_final_served-and-filed